A flat-speed race known as the shortest foot races, consisting of running as fast as possible a predetermined distance (60,100, 200 or 400 meters smooth), the athlete at the start is semi-incorporated, on supports fixed to the track called tacos.
- Speed and speed are different characteristics of man’s functions. Rapidity is a general property of the central nervous system that manifests itself fully in motor reactions when simple movements are executed without overloading.
- The individual characteristics of rapidity are conditioned by genetic factors, and therefore the possibility of improving it is limited.
- The speed of movements or displacements in space is a function of speed, strength, and endurance.
- Unlike speed, the chances of improving the speed of movement are unlimited according to (Yuri Verjoshanski)
- The rate in sport is essential not only in terms of speed of translation but also in terms of reaction, speed of stroke, speed of launch, mental speed.
- Today, from a methodological perspective, these concepts can be identified as the ability of a subject to perform motor acts in a shorter time and without fatigue.
- From a sports point of view, speed represents the ability of a subject to perform motor actions in a minimum of time and with maximum efficiency.
- From the physical point of view, speed is the ratio between a distance traveled over a given period whose formula is V=D / T. the units of measurement most commonly used are MT/s or KM/H.
Elementary forms of speed manifestation.
- Reaction time.
- The time of movement.
Reaction time is the ability of the nervous system to respond quickly to a perception (stimulus). The incentive is usually visual, auditory, or tactile and can be simple or complex.
A simple example: the 100mts boot. The sportsman reacts to a stimulus he already knows, the shot.
Example Complex Sports Games, the sportsman reacts to a stimulus he does not know and will present himself quickly.
Speed of displacement is the ability of the individual to move in the shortest possible time at a given distance. It depends in no small extent on the length of the step and the frequency of the steps.
Other aspects to consider for the development of speed.
- The mobility of nervous processes.
- Muscle strength.
- The elasticity of the muscles.
- Sports technique.
- Methods to educate the speed of movements
- Acceleration: perform exercises that homogeneously increase the speed to reach the maximum possibility.
- Steering wheel: with prior impulse, exceed a marked distance at a maximum speed
- Alter no: exercises carried out by several athletes, simultaneously by their rates.
- Handicap: exercises for multiple athletes simultaneously in correspondence with their speed.
- Repetitions: repeated execution of exercises with maximum speed, close to and above the limit.
The improvement of pure speed requires a series of methodological guidelines to be kept in mind to improve this capacity and not others.